Monday, December 22, 2014

External Maxtor hard disk failed

I have a Maxtor OneTouch 1TB connected to my router as a NAS. So while trying to access it earlier, it couldn't be connected to successfully. The router browser UI showed the drive mounted but didn't show any read/write permissions like it used to.

I connected its USB to my laptop directly. Windows Explorer was able to display the drive (F: in my case here) but complained of the drive "File or directory is corrupted  or unreadable". My heart sank. Until I found this lifesaver. Most of the suggestions linked to shady blogs which I felt reluctant to try. Until I scrolled down to the solution suggested by kwagalamoshe.

Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Since you are having problem with G & H drivers, enter the below command

chkdsk /f g: --> Press Enter.

chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter.

Good Luck 

It seemed straightforward enough, and it was utilising a system tool. No harm trying, so I decided to give it a shot. And it totally worked! CHKDSK was able to recover the filesystem with a couple of fixes to repair whatever was damaged.

I'm glad I found this solution but was surprised at the lack of information anywhere else. If you ever encounter anything similar, give CHKDSK a shot first (assuming you can still see the drive in Windows Explorer, hopefully). Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment