Thursday, January 1, 2015

Photoshop > Import Video to Layers on Windows 8.1

TL;DR - Install QuickTime 7.1.6, then update to 7.7.6

Having just migrated my Adobe Creative Suite 3 setup to a new laptop, I tried to extract frames from a video. At first it complained about "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the QuickTime version 7.1 or later is required." so I didn't think much of it.

And then I grabbed the latest installer off of https://www.apple.com/sg/quicktime/download/ easily enough. It's 2015 and any incompatibilities would have been resolved since Windows 8.1 came out... right? Wrong. Photoshop failed to detect my newly installed QuickTime 7.7.6. I tried "activating" it by launching the player manually, run with compatibility mode, reinstall with compatibility mode and even Run As Administrator.

Then I found this guy that had a similar situation. He mentioned that he stuck to QuickTime 7.1 and it works for him. I double-checked with my old laptop, but the version was 7.7.6 there. Regardless, I dug into the QuickTime download pages for older versions and found it. The installer worked and Photoshop was happy. But while it detected the older version, I wanted to match the version on my old laptop, so at the risk of breaking the setup, I updated QuickTime. It detected the new 7.7.6 and had me restart my machine.

I came back to Photoshop, lo and behold, it still worked. Now Photoshop can do what I want it to do, and I can rest easy knowing my version of QuickTime is up-to-date.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment